One Thousand Dollar ( Part Two )

,



" What would you do with a thousand dollar if you hat it ?" Gillian asked the taxi driver. 'Open a saloon," answered the driver promptly," I know the ideal place, its a four story brick building on a corner.This is the way I'd plan it: first floor saloon; second floor restaurant, third floor private dining rooms; fourth floor poolroom. If you're thinking of furnishing the money. Oh, no , said Gillian,I merely asked from curiously, Keep on driving; I'll tell you when to stop. On Broadway he saw a blind man sitting on a stool selling pencils, Gillian asked the driver to stop and he got out of the taxi.He walked over to the blind man and stood in form of him. " Excuse me," he said, " but would you mind telling me what you would do it you had a thousand dollars?,"  Did you get out of the taxi that just stopped near here? asked the blind man. " Why , yes i did." Then,I suppose I can trust you,' the pencil dealer said, " since you ride in a taxi by day, light, Take a look at this, if you stool wish,. He drew a small book from his coat pocket and held it out. Gillian opened it and saw that it was a bank deposit.It showed a balance of $1.785 in the blind man;s account. " Naturally,' remarked the blind man,I'd put the money into my bank account," Gillian returned the book and went back to the taxi. I forget something," He said to the driver," Take me to the law office of Tolman and Sharp at 56 Broadway." Lawyer Tolman looked at his  inquiringly through his glasses. I beg your pardon," Gillian said cheerfully but may I ask a question ? It's a proper one , I hope was Miss Hayden left anything by my uncle besides the ring and the $10 ? ,' Nothing," replied Mr. Tohman. 'Ihink you very much sir," said Gillian and he went to his taxi again. he gave the driver the addess of his late uncles's home.

Miss Hayden was writing letters in the library, She was small and slender and dressed in back. Gillian walked in with his usual easygoing manner. " I've just come from Tohman's he explained The Lawyer have been going over my uncle's papers down there. They found  a Gillian searched his memory for a suitable legal term 'They found an amendment or something to the will.It seem that Uncle Septimus became a little more generous on second thought and left you a thousand dollars.I was driving this way, and Tolman asked me to bring you the money Here it is. You'd better count it to see if it's all there," Gillian laid the money beside her hand on the desk. Miss Hayden turned pale," Oh! she said and again, Oh' Gillian half looked out the widow, I suppose, " he began again in a low voice that you know I love you." I'm sorry," she said picking up the money, There's no chance for me,? Gillian asked, " I'm sorry," she said again.

May I write a note? Gillian asked then, he seated himself at the big library table.She supplied him with paper and pen, and went back to her desk. Gillian wrote and account of how he had spent the thousand dollars in these words ; ;paid by the black sheep," Robert Gillian $.1000 to the best and dearest women on earth, Miss Mirian Hayden." Gillian put his note into an envelope, bowed, and went out. His taxi stopped again at the offices of Tolman and sharp.
I have spent the thousand dollars, " he said cheerfully to Tolman, :" and I have come to give an account of it, as I agreed. There's a feeling of summer in the air don't you think so, Mr. Tolman?' He tossed a white envelope on the lawyer's table," You will find a detailed statement there, sir, of how I made the dollar disappear. " Without touching the envelope, Mr. Tolman walked to a door and called he partner,Mr Sharp, Together they went to their huge safe" and brought out a large envelope sealed in wax. This they tore open and examined its contents Then Mr. Tolman spoke
Mr.Gillian, he said formally, there is a codicil to your uncle's will.It was given to us privately, with directions that it remain unopened until you had furnished us with a full account of how you handled the $1000 bequest in the will. As you have carried out the conditions, my partner and I have now read the codicil. I do not wish to worry you wish its legal language, but I will acquaint you with waht it says. In the event that your spending of the $1000 proves that you proses any of the qualifications that deserve reward, much benefit will do our duty strictly according to justice , and with generosity. We do not look on you with disfavor, Mr Gillian, But let us return to the codicil. If you spending of the money in question has been generous, wise, or unselfish, it is in our power to hand over to you the sum of $50.000, which has been as the late Mr. Gillian provides you ave used this money as you have used this money  as you have used money in the past I quote the late Mr. Gillian in shameless, behavior among unworthy compannions the $50.000 is to be paid to Miriam hayden without delay. Now, Mr.Gillian , Mr.Sharp and I will examine your account of the $.1000. You have prepared it in writing, I see, I hope you will have confidence in our decision ,

Mr. Tolman reached for our the envelope, but Gillian grabbed it first. He tore it into small pieces and dropped them into his pocket. It's unimportant," he said smiling, There's no need to brother you with this, I don't suppose you'd understand the details of my habits, anyway, I lost the thousand dollars at the races, Good-by gentlemen.

Tolman and Sharp shook their heads sadly when Gillian left; but they heard him whistling gaily in the hall as he waited for the elevator,"

Part One Click Here