The Last Leaf ( Part One )

,



In New York City  there is a district west of Washington Square called Greenwich Village. Its narrow streets and eighteenth century building give it a great deal of charm.Not many years ago, artists were attracted there because of its quaint appearance and also because of the low rents. Thus the in interesting old Village became a popular art Colony. At the top of  a three - story brick house,Sue and Joanna.She had come from California to live in New York.The other girl was from Maine. They had met at  a small restourant  on Eighth Street. When they found out that their tastes in art, food, and dress were very much alike. they decideme to share a studio. That was in May, In November a cold, silent stranger, whom the doctors called Mr. Pneumonia moved  quietly  about the color touching one here and one there with his icy fingers. Mr Pneumonia was not a polite old gentleman. Little Johnsy, her blood thinned by the warm. California weather was no match for that red faced short breathed, old fellow,And so he touched Johnsy with his icy fingers too and she lay ill,  scarcely moving on her old iron bed looking through the small window at the blank side of the brick house next door.
One day when the busy doctor came to examine Johnsy, he asked Sue to follow him into the hall " She has about one chance in ten, he said as he shook down his thermometer ," And that chance depends on whether she wants to live. This patient has made up her mind that she's not going to get well. Is there anything on her mind ? Well, she has always said that she wanted to paint the Bay of Naples some day,answered  sue. Paint ? Nonsense ! Is there  anything on her mind worth thinking about twice a man, for instance.
A man ? Sue exclaimed in surprise,No, doctor,I'm sure she's not worrying about a man." Well, her problem is just weakness then, caused by the fever. I'll do everything in my power to save her. But when a patient loses hope of getting well, the power well, the power of medicine is reduced by at least fifty per cent. If she starts asking question about the new winter fashions. I can promise you a one in five chance for her instead of a one in ten.After the doctor had gone,Sue went in the studio and sobbed , Then, forcing herself to smile she entered Johnsy's  room with her drawing materials, whistling a popular tune.
Johnsy lay vey still under the bedclothes, with her faces toward the window .Sue stopped whistling thinking Johnsy was asleep. She put down the drawing board and began to make some pen and ink sketches to illustrate a magazine story. As Sue was drawing figures on the board.She heard a low sound which was repeated several times. She went quickly to the bedside. John's eyes were wide open. She was looking out the window and counting backward.
Twelve she said and a little later, eleven and then ten and nine and then eight and seven.
Sue looked curiously out the window , What was there to count ? there was only a here, dull yard and the blank side of the brick wall. The could autumn wind had blown the leaves from the vine until its branches were almost bare.


What is it , dear Tell me,
Six said Johnsy almost in a whisper. They're falling faster now. There days ago there were almost a hundred.It made my head ache to count them. But now it's easy. There  goes another one. There are only five left now,"
Five what, dear ? please tell me,
Leave on the vine. When the last one falls,  I must go too, I've known that  for there days, Didn't the doctor tell you?
Oh,I've never heard such nonsense, said Sue what have those  leaves to do with your getting well? And you used to love that old vine so much. Don't be silly why, the doctor told me this morning that your chances of getting well soon are ten to one! Thats almost as good a chance as we have in New York when we ride on a streetcar or walk past a building under construction.Please try to eat some soup now. let me go back to my drawing, so I can earn some money to buy food and wine for us.
You needn't buy any more wine," said Johnsy as she continued to stare, at the bare vine.  There goes another leaf  No, I don't want any soup, There are just four leaves left. I want to see the last one fall before it gets dark.Then I'll go too. Johnsy, dear said Sue, bending over her, will you promise to keep  your easy closed and not look out the window until I've finished my work ? I must deliver these drawings tomorrow morning. I need the light otherwise I would pull down the window shade.
Can't you work in the other room? Johnsy asked coldly.  I'd rather be here with you, replied Sue, Besides , I don't want you to keep looking at those silly old leaves. Tell me as soon as you have finished said Johnsy closing her eyes and lying white  and still as a statute," I want to see the last one fall. I'm tired of thinking I want to see the last one fall. I'm tired of thinking, I want to go just like one of those poor , tired leaves
Try to sleep now," said Sue ," I must go down stairs to ask Behrman to be a model for my next drawing.Iwon't be gone a minute.Don't try to move until I get back.  
PART  TWO CLICK HERE