Banyuwangi the Legend

,



Long time ago, in the beach of the east of Java was a kingdom that lead by Prabu Merak. He had a handsome son, named Raden Baterang. Raden Baterang was a blue-eyed boy that will be the next king. His people was very admire him. But he was an easy anger person. One day, Raden Baterang was hunting animals with his bodyguards. In that hunting time, he lost his bodyguards. He walked untill the river. He looked a beautiful girl while take some flower. He was interested with her beauty.

He asked his heart, “Is it a dream? Why a girl lonely in the jungle?” Then he asked the girl, “Hi, miss. Who are you? Why you just lonely here?” The girl shocked. “i just a person. I’m here cause I freighten about an enemy. Last time my kingdom attacked by the other kingdom. My father died and I go away from there”. Than the Baterang said,” Is you the king of Klungkung’s daughter?” “Yes, I am. I am Surati” Listened that, Banterang silent a moment. He knew that the attacker of her kingdom was his father.

Then Surati was taked by Banterang to live in his kingdom. Not a long time, they married. Someday when Surati walked outside of the castle, she sees a man. The man said, “Surati, Surati!” So shocked Surati with that man. She knew if that is her brother. “Hei, Surati! You don’t shy you have been married by person that kill our father? Wto give an attack back for them?” The man said. “I’m sorry. I think, I’ve a debt from him. I can’t” The man was very disappointed. When Banterang was hunting, a beggar said,”I’m going to find you since some hour ago. I listened if you will have a big problem. This caused from your wife and your brother in law.

They wanted to give attack to your kingdom. If you don’t believe, look under your wife royal bed. There was a kris” After listened that, he went home so fast. He enterd her wife royal bed. And all was true, under the Surati’s royal bed is a kris there. Banterang was very angry and disappointed to his wife. He pulled his wife’s hand, and go to the river. “Is that your reply for me?” “I swear, I don’t do like what you think!” “Quiet, fibber!” snarl Banterang while show the kris. “Hey, Raden Banterang! It’s my father’s kris. But I swear, that kris just bring by my brother. I don’t know why the kris was on you hand. I swear, I’m a loyal wife. Ya, my brother met me, but it just in front of the castle. He asked me to help him to do his plan. But I push it.” But, he still think if his wife was fault. “Okey, Kakanda! If you don’t believe me, I shall meet my die time in this river. But, please think this. If the smell of the river was so aromatic,

I don’t have a fault. But if the smell was not good, I think if I have a fault” Surati jumped into the river and be lost. “Banyuwangi!” Banterang said. “Banyuwangi!!” The brother of Surati said, too.” Hei, Banterang! Actually, I’m her brother. Your wife hasn’t a fault. She push my ask to help me. Banyuwangi, that is her true love” Banterang was very disappointed. Untill now, his wife was sink under the river bottom called Banyuwangi. Banyu means water and Wangi means aromatic.